23 March 2009

wow.

one year ago today, we were on a plane at this very moment. on a plane to guatemala. one year ago today, we knew we would meet our daughter the following day. i can't even describe my feelings. i have been very emotional the last week or so. our lives have changed COMPLETELY in the last year. stella is our whole world. on one hand, we can't believe it has already been a year. on the other hand, we feel like she's always been with us!

things haven't always been easy in the last year. we've been through alot. i have chosen not to talk about alot of it because it's what i do. but i think it's time. stella's adjustment to her life here with us was amazingly easy. michael's adjustment to fatherhood was seamless. he is SUCH an amazing father. my adjustment to motherhood, however, is another story. i honestly had moments when i thought there wasn't a motherly bone in my body. i had read many, many stories on other blogs about mothers who had that "instant" connection with their children. i didn't expect that for myself, but i also didn't expect things to develop as slowly over time as they have. don't get me wrong. of COURSE i loved stella the instant i saw her. i just didn't feel like a mother. she always preferred michael over me and it was difficult for me. i spent tons of time crying wondering what was wrong with me. i was frustrated and sad.

well that was the beginning. things are totally different now :) very slowly, i turned into her mother. apparently, i AM motherly :) i DO have patience. i DO know how to handle her tantrums. i DO know how to make her happy. i DO know what she is saying when NOONE else does. i DO love her more than life itself. it just happened. i woke up one day and realized that i am stella's mom. she is my daughter. and this is exactly how things are supposed to be. we have SO much fun together. i am still a goer and doer. i have to constantly remind myself to SLOW DOWN and enjoy every second with her. we are going to wake up one day and she will be 13 and completely embarrassed by us :) so for now, i am loving having an almost 2 year old :)

i do wonder how being an adoptive mother is different from a birth mother. i wonder if i had given birth to stella if i would have felt totally differently. would i have still had a hard time in this transition to being a mother? this is one thing i will never know. it doesn't make me sad anymore. i know that i am stella's mother and that God made her just for us. i KNOW THAT inside and out. but it still makes me wonder. as every, single friend - one by one - gets pregnant and has their children, it actually makes me feel even more isolated from that world. it's a world that i will never know. it seems like a parallel universe for about the first 9 months and then seems to collide back as one. do i isolate myself, or is it just that all new moms need a transition period? i'm thinking it might be a little of both. for now, i'm just going to separate myself, both to respect "the transition" and to protect my heart a little. there are still some tender spots in there that i choose to ignore most of the time. it's easier to ignore if i protect them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!! I think at some point all moms go through the transition of questioning themselves rather they be birth mothers or adoptive mothers. Know that our lives are predestined by God who knew before your first breath that Stella would be YOUR daughter. I know you would have to be the worlds most wonderful mother because I know for certain that you are the worlds most wonderful friend. You are the most kind and generous, loving, and thoughtful person! I feel sorry for those who don't know YOU and fortunate that God led you into my life. You are a friend forever- so just to measure your friendship tells me more than enough about your motherhood.
And might I add that I am quite envious of the fact that Stella gets the "Cool MOM!" I wish every ounce of me could be covered with your passion, your loving and care-free heart and your talents.
I can't believe it has been a year already. But I can promise that I will be here for a lifetime and I am too excited to watch Stella grow. (even if it is via email)
Loving you from SC
Chi

jilli said...

I knew you were Stella's mommy from the very moment I watched you walk off that jetway with her in your arms. my heart swelled with so much pride and love and admiration of your strength...it was a moment I will never forget because it was at that moment I knew that I was ready to take my own step towards becoming a mom. you have always inspired me and whether you know it or not you give me a strength and a will that I never knew was in me.

I don't know much about it yet but I think every woman's journey into motherhood is varied and unique. it breaks my heart that you've had any question about yourself but i rejoice that you have found your stride and confidence. stella loves you very much and will never know a greater love.

i love you and i wish we didn't have to share our lives over phone calls and email. i have been missing you so very much over the past few days and wish you could be here with me. it's been pretty crazy around here and as much as i'm looking forward to some peace and quiet, i've been trying my hand at a new virtue - patience. please don't ever feel you have to separate yourself from me - it would rip me apart to feel you wouldn't/couldn't be every bit a part of my life as you were before. i will need you now, more than ever.

Anonymous said...

3/24/2009 HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!
i hope you are all enjoying a day at the zoo and i surely hope to see some pictures of it.
stella- we love you so very much and are quite proud of your parents. i hope your hearts are filled with joy and the cup runneth over with love and gratefulness.
every moment is a memory and every memory lasts a lifetime.
love chi

Telissa said...

happy anniversary!!! i didn't realize it was already a year!!! wwwhhoooaa!!! glad to see you guys growing up together! sending much love your way!